Sunday, January 3, 2016

What is Outsider Math?

Outsider art is defined as:
art created outside the boundaries of official culture
Outsider art and music is typically committed by those on the fringe of culture. By the disenfranchised and mentally ill. If you want to know more about outsider music I suggest reading Songs in the Key of Z, and for outsider art I suggest...well I haven't really read a good book on it, but the wikipedia article is fascinating. This blog will be a representation of math that is subjective, which is to say, wrong. Math is objective, that's what makes it math. As a certified crazy person(to quote the Wordburglar, I got receipts and shit) I will be presenting math to you as though that isn't true. I am not an expert on math, I don't know anything about statistics or data analysis. I am not a very good software developer either, I'm sure any scripts I write for this site will be riddled with problems.

So what does qualify me to write this blog:

I've seen every episode of Numb3rs...sort of.* I watched the first three episodes of The Code. I've been through like at least half of the Algebra section on Kahn Academy. And I love math.

And I just want you guys to know. I didn't always love math. In fact many teachers actively convinced me that I was not only bad at it, but I shouldn't pursue it. If just one teacher had said, "You can suck at arithmetic, but be good at math". My entire life would be different. So I became a linux admin. Which I also love. Using the GNU toolset and linux are my core competency. But this amateur brings math to you. Hopefully in an entertaining way that you recognize as perhaps false or satire, when it is.

OUTSIDER MATH, BRINGS IT.

*If I'm doing something as mindless as TV I usually accompany it with adult beverages.

**There are things I'm bad ass at. They just mostly involve linux and drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment